16,000 Dead from Doctors!

Well ok, maybe a bit over the top but check out this article:

http://nyti.ms/1ueuRo3

Opioids (aka narcotics) are WAY over prescribed.  So much so that 16,000 people died of overdoses in 2012.  That’s more than died from homocides!  It’s half as many as all firearm deaths.  I often pull out my prescription pad and tell people it’s more powerful than a gun and it is.

It’s just crazy how often I see this in the hospital.  Some little old lady has seen 5 different doctors and is on methadone for chronic pain, Soma (carisoprodol ) for muscle spasms, Xanax (alprazolam) for anxiety and Ambien (zolpidem)  for insomnia!  Then I’m asked why she has AMS (altered mental status).  DUH!

Accidental Polypharmacy Overdose  is now one of my most used admitting diagnoses.

Is your mother, brother, sister or aunt getting overdosed by the medical system?  Get them to stop before they die!

Dr. Nick

Advertisements

History comes back to haunt us.

Interesting story today reporting that the National Health Service in Great Britain has determined that it’s MORE DANGEROUS to have your baby in a hospital than at home!  At least for uncomplicated births your chances of having something bad like an infection or an unnecessary procedure are HIGHER in a hospital than at home with a trained midwife.  As a pediatrician I always thought people who had these home births were nut jobs, but maybe I was just expressing my bias and didn’t have any real data to support my contention.

Here’s the link:

http://nyti.ms/1tOP1VB

 

The story really goes back to the 1840’s when an unfortunate, brilliant soul named Ignaz Semmelweis discovered that Obstetricians in Vienna were killing women and babies at a high rate by failing to sanitize their hands after examining cadavers.  They would then examine pregnant women and contaminate them causing “puerperal fever” and DEATH.  Semmelweis was chastised and essentially chased out of town.  He went to Hungary were he repeated his experiment (high tech at the time – washing your hands with chlorine) and replicated the impressive results.  It all ended badly for him anyway as he died at 47 in an asylum.

 

http://www.searo.who.int/publications/journals/seajph/whoseajphv1n4p477.pdf

 

Once again – if you go into the hospital make sure those doctors wash their hands!

 

Dr. Nick